Skip to main content

Inked...

Ever wonder why some people have tattoo's all over their body? The truth is, once you get one tattoo, you want a second and then a third. It's an addiction for some. For others, a tattoo is a personal symbol.

I put my first tattoo is above my heart, and it's a banner of my late niece, Mercedes. I do not regret getting this tattoo, but, I can think of many different designs I could do with her name- and I may redesign the banner one day. She is above my heart because that is where she'll always be. Hers is the only name that'll ever have permanently etched in my skin.

I've always known that I wanted a second tattoo, and I'd like to have it in time for my fortieth. Certain members of my family have expressed their strong opinions. My niece in particular. She is six, and her opinions matter to me, and I don't want to be a negative influence on her - but - when she told me her real reason for disapproval was because her "mommy said no," I had to explain to her that her mother is not my mom, and that I am grown adult that is allowed to make decisions for herself. She still didn't approve. I question if I should keep this to myself- and when the time comes, she'll notice it and hopefully, she'll accept it.

Tattoos are also a way for an artist to express herself. Sure, I can't draw, nor can I play an instrument, but I create stories-which is a different form of art. And, it seems so fitting to get a tattoo. It's in line with my character.

I believe getting a tattoo at forty is much different than at twenty. Sure, twenty year olds are smart and can make decisions, but,  I've been thinking about it for so long, and have carefully crafted the piece, which is why this one will be special. I can think of many different designs that I like- I could probably cover my entire body, but I won't do that!

It is one's personal decision to get a tattoo- the design usually represents something about that person. However, the design is more than just a tattoo. It is someone's artwork, someone who has to zone in and carefully move the needle - to draw something with many details, without error. Because a tattoo is permanent, and you can't easily erase an error like you can erase a sketch done in pencil on paper.

I won't go into detail about my future design, but, I'm writing this to discuss the decisions that go into getting a tattoo.
There are people whom are prejudice and will judge you for having a tattoo. I think that's immature. Especially since there are a lot of people with ink, and it's become so normal it's almost weird to meet someone with no ink, or body piercing.
 In California, especially Hollywood, it is socially acceptable, and very inspiring. It is also the home of a famous tattoo shop, "L.A. Ink." Had I known they opened appointments for the public, I would've done something.

1)How much thought do you put into your tattoo?
2)What are some things you consider before you get your design, and hire a designer?
3) How important is someone's approval to getting a tattoo?








Comments

  1. I've never had one--I'm too fickle! I did do the temporary tattoo thing when I went out clubbing in my single days. Usually something girly or princessy on my ankle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fake tattoos are a great way to discover if you could handle the real one...I had a fake one that I hated and am so thankful it washed off in a week!
      I'm ready for the new one =)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Inked: Butterflies

About a month ago, I got a new tattoo, or shall I say seven new butterflies. In its lifetime, a butterfly will go through many changes. From the start, it's a caterpillar, and then it grows to a butterfly; it eventually flies away to many places. Much like me. I've been through so many changes in my life, and I've been to many places. When I heard the song, "Free Bird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd, I knew I that the song had to be the theme to my tattoo, except, I couldn't find the bird I wanted permanently inked to my body.  I'm not really a fan of birds- but- I love butterflies so it fit. The colors are perfect, purple, black and white; and I put it on my right side thigh, there's hope that there may be more below or above it one day. In my last blog, "Inked" - I admitted that my young niece didn't want me to get a tattoo. I've yet to tell her that I have these butterflies. I may tell her this weekend when I see her - or I may w

War on Fitness: Never Give Up

Never Give Up The worst decision you'll ever make is to give up on yourself. That includes your health. So many people misunderstand the fitness industry, they assume that fitness is just a leisure hobby for the young, single and rich. The internet has done a lot to inspire many, yet, where there's good, bad is one step behind. For every good deed you do, there's a critic. Sure, the internet is filled with a lot of false information; or contradicting information-- but that's not an excuse to give up on taking care of yourself. Despite political opinions on the health care coverage, we now have insurance to help us in a few different ways, and how we choose to use the help to our advantage is our responsibility. There are far too many ways to stay in good health, and there is a unique way for each of you to stay on top of your own health goals. Do not do what others do. It is a mistake to believe that if I can do this- so can you. Your life is different than mi